Re[2]: Leaking rear diff cover

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 23:08:07 EDT

Kinda hard to explain as it's a feel sort of thing but I focused more on gently
wrench/socket tightening things up symmetrically with special attention to the
bottom bolts as that's were mine was leaking the first go round. Once I knew
the bolts were in there (not 100%) I really just watched the ooze and tried to
keep it to a minimum. I dunno, maybe an 1/8th of a turn or less into the ooze.
 I remembered when I first took the cover off the bolts came out like butter
but the cover took a lot of prying and banging to finally come off so I know
the sealant is really strong and the bolts just kind of hold it in place.

To contrast that to the first time I did this, I remember a lot of the RTV
being pressed out as I tightened down the bolts but I don't know if that was
'cause it hadn't let it set-up or I had the bolts too tight. I really think
the key is to let the RTV set-up first.
Tom