Leaking rear diff cover

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 20:00:32 EDT

Have small problem(but an annoying one) which I would like some help on. I
initially took both front and rear diff covers off back in March to change
the gear fluid. I had a problem with the rear diff cover leaking maybe a
month afterwards, so I drained/reused the fluid and resealed the diff cover.
Well I pulled the diff cover off about a month ago, cause I thought my rear
LSD went out, so once again I put everything back in a resealed the diff
cover. This seal is now leaking again, grrrrr. I dont care about having to
take it back off, resealing it, and adding new gear fluid; it is just the
fact the it shouldnt be leaking! The front hasnt leaked since the first time
I pulled the diff cover and sealed it up! I didnt do anything different on
the front diff either. What the heck can I do this time to hopefully ensure
a leakproof seal?? I do fully clean for the diff housing and the diff cover
to remove all the old RTV and I am sure to use plenty of brake cleaner to
completely dry things out for a good bonding surface. I have used RTV Ultra
Blue and Ultra Black, both leaked. I want to do this one last time and not
worry about it until next diff fluid change. Would using a diff cover gasket
meant for a Chrysler 8.25" rear end work better??? I have also read not to
tighten the diff cover bolts down all the way, cause the RTV gets thinned
out too much, but I tightened the front diff cover down pretty good. Like I
said, I want to fix this rather annoying and simply(supposedly!) leak and do
it right so I have one less thing to think/worry about. THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6