RE: Got my Dak model (Semi off-topic?)

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 19:49:12 EDT

> My questions for the model builders out there are:
>
> I am going to see if my body shop will paint the body of the
> model for me (Really!) if not, what's the best way for me to paint it
> without leaving brushmarks etc?

Since you have the body off, just get a spray can of the paint with the
color of choice just by your fingers to prop it up from the inside. You
didn't say if it was a metal or plastic model. If it's metal strip the old
paint off otherwise the new paint will cause the old stuff to flake off,
then prime it and shoot it. If it's unpainted plastic you're gonna have to
prime it a couple of times(depending on the color of the body and the colors
you're gonna use).

> Is there a realistic looking chrome paint out there for
> models? I need to do the bumpers ad the exhaust tips.

Not that I know of. What I used to do is use silver paint and then apply a
high gloss clear over it.

> I know I can get all-terrain tires from another model kit,
> but is there a way to get tires without buying a whole model? Are there
> suppliers out there for that type of thing?

Depends on the size ( what scale is the model???), you might be able to get
away with using any model kit as long as you're within the same scale. As
for a distributor.. don't think so. ALmost all model companies mold there
own stuff.

> Anyone have this same model? I want to lift it a bit to
> better simulate the 4x4 I have. The axles are preset and there s no easy
way that
> I can see to lift it and keep it looking nice. Any suggestions?

Sorry, don't have one.. But if you're looking for help building a Monogram
B-36B "Peacemaker"(or any other plastic model aircraft for that matter),
then I could give you a hand..

Greg
95 Dakota Sport CC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ