Driveshaft fell off! ! !

From: SmokinDakota (webmaster@smokindakota.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 03:25:54 EDT

I just got back from the shop doing my bags. Took it out for a test drive
with the owner. The ride is nice and the bags are QUICK. After going around
the block, he let me drive it. I drive my truck pretty hard and like to test
its limits. Well I took it to the limit tonight. I hit 4500 rpms in 1st and
shifted in to second to try and chirp the tires and BAMNNNNN. . . CLUNK. . .
ClUNK. . . CLUNK. Pull over and my driveshaft is hanging down draggin along
with the two air compressors that were mounted behind it. The rear end is
pointed up towards the bed. We search for the part that busted and it is
this little piece of metal that was holding the u-joint in to the rear end.
This piece looked very weak. Anyone else have problems with their
driveshaft. Solutions? I am out of warranty, plus I don't think Dodge would
approve of the extensive suspension modifications. However, the ladders bars
help a lot with traction. Another couple of weeks in the shop :( Its been
over 2 months and I have only been able to drive the truck 1/2 day. I am
having major withdrawals. THIS SUCKS! ! !

Steven
www.smokindakota.com
www.dodge-trucks.net