Brakes and AutoX running

From: jdharmon@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 01:03:31 EDT

Hey everyone. Been a bit since I put up something besides show info!

Just a thought. After running the DACUDA full out on the track at
Buttonwillow and toasting the entire stock brake system plus the slotted
rotors, some ideas. DON"T push the brakes on these trucks too hard!
The front rotors are well too small to handle the heavier loads and
excessive heat of hard braking in corners! The ceramic pistons just
curl up and get toasty with the heat, not to mention the seals. The
pistons on the calipers were so badly burned that they crumbled when I
took the calipers off!

With the new calipers, we also had to replace the rear drums (warped!),
rear shoes (cracked linings), new front pads (lost inner pads on both
sides) and are now working on the new master cylinder. The only part
not replaced was the pedal!!!! maybe a drag chute next time! And i ran
the truck without the nitrous too!

no offense to the drag racing fun, but 14sec of straight line driving
with the pedal mashed to the floor versus tight corners, balls to the
wall driving and braking, I am totally hooked! Our trucks really can
drive these courses very nicely with practice. It is more driver than
vehicle too!

Just my thoughts

Jim