A Tcase is a Tcase?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 23:29:05 EDT

Does anyone have any good solid info pertaining to the NP231 transfer cases?
It looks like my tcase needs some work, major internal work. My options are
either have a shop drop the tcase, rebuild it, and put it back in. Or find a
NP231 out of a wrecked truck, preferably a Dakota, and put this one it. I
mean, I know alot of vehicles have NP231 tcases(Rams, Dakotas, Wranglers,
etc), so I was thinking about junkyard tcase might be better. I am trying to
be rather cost efficient, but want it done and done right so I know I will
have 4WD whenever I need to be in 4HI/4LO. The rebuild will be about
$500(but could be more depending on what is worn/damaged, all the way upto
$750) and I can get a tcase for anywhere from $300 all the way to $700, but
all with LOW miles on them. Mine currently has 125,500 miles on it. Any
ideas or suggestions?????????????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6