Re:HVAC Woes

From: Shawn Villaire (s_villaire@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 08:12:55 EDT

I'm not quite sure what your dealer meant when he was telling you that they
use and electronic switch now. I know that there are about 7 or 8 vacuum
lines behind my dash(00 CC 4X4) that connect to the climate control
system...I know this because when I went to install an aftermarket stereo I
had to modify the dash opening by bending the ABS plastic with a heat gun to
get the radio to fit in the opening. When finished installing the system my
blower would only blow air out of the defroster vents no matter where the
selector switch was....After investigating I accidentally melted one of the
vacuum hoses shut with the heat gun #!@$%@!!# I had to splice the hose back
together and everything worked fine. I know this doesn't answer your
question totally but thought the info. might be helpful.

Shawn
Sterling Heights, MI

00 CC 4X4 Sport 4.7l auto, 3 1/2" flowmaster cat-back, homemade K&N open air
filter, 180 t-stat.

Subject: DML: HVAC Woes

Hey guys,

Anyone w/ a 2k Dak or Durango having the infamous indecisive Chrysler HVAC
problem...i.e., at interstate speeds with the cruise on when the engine goes
from light-duty state to load-state (like in climbing a hill) with the A/C
on, the airflow shifts from the vents to the defroster. Then, once the hill
is crested, the A/C airflow comes back to the vents.

I asked my service writer to look into it but he could not duplicate the
problem. He told me that the 2k models used an electrical switch as opposed
to a vacuum-operated switch as used on the 1997-1999 models. Any ideas? Is
my service writer blowing smoke? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Mike Hines
2k Durango SLT+
99 Camaro SS M6