RE: 4.7L top speeds

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 14:14:36 EDT

I am very curious also John, I can't figure out how there could possibly be
that much variation.
But we all have seen post from people having limiters anywhere from 97 on up
over 115 on 4.7L's??
Does anyone know what the speed rating on the tire that comes on the base
model (Aluminum) rim??
Not the 15X8's, but the aluminum rim that is smaller (not sure on the size
15X6 ??)
Maybe that is the difference, or maybe production dates, or maybe as you say
John, there is a large margin of error in the pcm??
Another thing I have noticed with the 4.7L pcm, is that under severe duty
conditions, ie.. Drag racing on a very hot day, if the engine temp gets
above a certain point (not sure what temp it is) the pcm will cut back on
the RPM limiter and start cutting out at 5000 rpms, instead of the normal
6,XXX Rpm. I have had this happen to me on too separate occasions. The first
time it happened it was not a hot day, but I made about 8 passes down the
track in less than 15 minutes, and I guess the engine got a little hot, the
other time it was a hot day (95F) and I attempted 3 consecutive runs, on the
3rd run it died at 5000 rpms. I reset the pcm and let the engine cool down a
bit before continuing.

Matt--VA--Y2K-HEMI `00 Sport Plus RC 4.7L 5spd.
9 1/4 3.92 LSD, Homemade air intake,
T-Bars, Spring clamps, Mobil 1,Hoosiers
3" Flowmaster cat-back, Bosch +4's
14.48 @ 92.40 MPH
9.19 @ 72.58 MPH
208 RWHP/285 RWTQ
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

<