RE: 4.7 Hemi

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 18:55:21 EDT

If the Max Wedges were never Hemi's, then there never was a 392 or 413 Hemi.
Chrysler simply abandonded the name Hemi for a while. I've seen a number of
392's and 413's with the spark plugs in the center of the combustion chamber.
I think the bulk of the development occurring with the Max Wedge engines
centered around intake experimentation. I guess they will never be Hemi's
because Chrysler wasn't calling their engine line Hemi's at that time. If you
want to get technical the Hemi designation as most people seem to use it can
only be tagged onto the late RB block engines starting about '65 or '66 (with
the 426, which is the pinacle of development of the RB block line that started
with the 392). However even books generated by Ma Mopar refer to any RB engine
as a hemi, even though many were never sold using that term in the marketing
literature. And that is my point exactly. Just what is in a name? I know a
couple guys with 392's that consider themselves Hemi owners..... are they not?