Stripping!!! (long)

From: Chris Lambert (mopar88@efortress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 21:00:58 EDT

Ok now that I have your attention, it has been a long time since I have
been with a lady and I want to strip my dakota... any thoughts? Actually I
have 2 vehicles that are of no use for me right now, a '73 Dart with a
slant 6 and a really bad chassis, and an 88 dakota that runs perfect but
will not pass emissions. Here is the plan, I want to cut the chassis out
of the dart and place the dart on the dakota's frame. Amazingly near
everything lines up perfectly. except for the fact that the dakota is a
full frame vehicle and the dart is unibody. The dart need new floorboards
and a whole new frontend, including the torsion bar brace anyway. So I
want to know exactly what is involved in taking the bed and cab off the
frame of an 88 dakota. The dakota has a new 518 tranny and a new reman
engine in it, also if it would propel the dakota to an 18 sec 1/4 mile
"demon" the dart should be good for at least mid 16's, good enough till I
can get the 360 rebuilt. I am going to use the full frame so I guess I
also need suggestions on how to tie the two together, body mounts, bolt em,
weld em or what? Also if anyone in the RI area would like to help I would
be more than happy to have it. I figure a 5:00 on Fri aft, a full sat and
maybe some sunday time and it'll be all done. I am pulling the dart's
engine and tranny as soon as I can, prob this week. Any one in the RI area
want it, if it is close enough I will deliver... The slant runs well, 114k
miles. Once the engine and tranny are out i am starting to unbolt the
frontend. Once that is done it comes down to cutting the floorboards where
the framerails have to pass and taking out the rearend, again i will be
cutting it out. I figure not only do I get a good engine, trans, rearend
but I also get R&P steering, coil springs, DISK BRAKES, etc. If it sits
too high for my taste I am going to get a drop kit for a dakota and bolt
that on, as well as sway bars for the dakota. I know it is not going to be
easy but I think it's better than trying to sell a truck with no emissions
and a cracked windshield for what the engine cost me alone ($2200 all said
and done). I am going to get a new intake, carb and dist for the 3.9
premag, anything else I will need? Basically I need help... If anyone can
offer any ideas or suggestions I know some of you are real gearheads and
might have already done something like this before... any pointers etc will
be very helpful. Thanks in advance Guys...

Chris

'00 CC, 4.7, 5-sp, 3923's, Gibson Duals, Lakewood Traction Bars, DML "Smoke
Em" Decal
Pioneer Stereo, Bugflector II Bug Guard, Fender Flairs, 3923's, Tinted
Windows, Ventvisors,
Alarm, Spring Clamps, Magnum Front Plate... Quick D on the way...