Tcase Saga: FIXED!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 19:33:44 EDT

Well I feel stupid, yet EXTREMELY pleased with how my tcase now operates!
Yes it appears to be fixed!!!! First off, I must thank everyone for their
input and suggestions, and Norah for scanning the tcase section of the FSM.
Secondly, you wouldn't believe what appears to have fixed the lever popping
out of 4HI/4LO, as well as the effort it took to pull the lever back into
4HI. It was frigin' the FLUID!!! I change my tcase fluid every 2 years, and
have used synthetic ATF. The first 4 times I changed the fluid, I used
Amsoil ATF and it was great. This last time, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic
ATF....and shortly thereafter is when I experienced the lever popping out of
4HI. So while I was under my Dak today, finally fixing the rear diff cover
leak and putting on a new gas hose.......I decided to check the fluid level
in the tcase, just for the hell of it, and it was perfect. I checked for the
vacuum switch, checked all the electrical connections, and really looked at
the entire tcase for about an hour, stumped as to what my problem could be.
I hosed the entire tcase linkage assembly down with 3M Penetrant, and let it
soak for 30 minutes, and then I soaked it all down again. I waited another
30 minutes, and finished up with the fluid in the rear diff. I then went
back to the tcase linkage and hosed it down again, but this time with 3M
Spray Grease. The tcase lever was still hard to pull back, but not as bad,
but still nowhere near what it should be. I looked in my manual, and it
states to use only ATF+3 7176 ATF, and only use Dextron II if the 7176 is
not available. I went out and bought 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF+3 7176, even
though the tcase only takes 2.5 pints....or so. I looked at the store and
the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF does not state is it 7176 compatible. I used 2
quarts to 'flush' out the Mobil 1 ATF and filled the case up with the normal
old Valvoline +3. Holy cow, this tcase lever works so nice and smooth, and
STAYS in 4HI....you can hear it pop into gear and it stays in gear!!! I took
it out quickly to a gravel pit and 4WD works great! This has been one hell
of a learning experience and a cheap one at that. If anyone out there is
running synthetic ATF in their tcase, make 100% sure it is ATF+3 7176 ATF.
Let's go 4Wheelin!!!! Once again, thanks to all who have helped me out.
Hopefully this fix will stay and not be a temporary fix.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 v6