Autolite #'s?????

From: Greig, Doug (douggr@hazelett.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 10:20:56 EDT

 I think I thoroughly confused myself this weekend. I went to the parts
store to pick up some autolite 3923's for my V6. I didn't see any 3923's at
all, and when I asked, I was told they didn't have that #, but they had
3924's. Being cautious, I checked the Autolite manual for the correct # for
my truck. It said #5224 was the # I needed! WTF? I even held the 3924 next
to the 5224. The 5224's were longer, but appeareed to be the same width. "So
what do I do now?" I asked myself. If I buy the 5224, and they are too long,
do I take a chance on cracking them on top of a piston? Are the 3924's the
same as the 3923's? I just didn't know what the difference was between them.
So I gambled and bought the 3924's and installed them Saturday. I compared
them too the Bosch +4's I had in there(what a piece of dung!) and they
appeared to be the same size(phew!). The truck feels much better. I couldn't
believe the size difference of the electrodes between the two spark plugs.
The +4's were so small, I can't believe I trusted them like I did. My
question is , why are we using 3924/3's when the book say to use 5224's?
What is the difference between the 3923 and the 3924 plug?

ps. Dropped the Dak off to have the balljoints done this morning! Finally
have my baby back tonight!!!!

 Doug Greig
 Winooski VT
 98 CC 4X4 V6 Sport