Re: Hood & Other Q

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 20:56:09 EDT

At 04:43 PM 7/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
> <snip>
>Now for my second question, I haven't had a chance to get down to the track
>and play around, but I would like everyone's suggestion on the easiest way
>to catch the tree (besides paying attention) and getting good times in a V6
>3.9 Automatic.

This is what I do. Make sure the O/D is off before approaching the water pit.
After a short burnout to clean the tires off, I put the gear in first and
approach the staging light slowly with left foot on the brake pedal. Once the
truck has triggered the pre-stage light (top), I brake completely then
gradually
lift the brake pedal to just trigger the staging (2nd) light and brake
immediately.
I load the torque convertor holding the truck with left foot hard on brake
pedal
(1000-1200 rpm with street tires ... ~2000 rpm with drag radials). The
next 3 ambers
go on and off with 0.5 sec between each. When the 2nd amber goes off, I
wait just
a split second and then release brakes and get on the gas. I found that
this was
best for my reactions and for how my truck responds. You will no doubt
modify these
steps to suit your truck and reaction time.

One thing that I have found helps is to completely ignore the vehicle in
the next lane. Keep your eyes on the lights (you'll eventually get to know
how much to load the TQ by pedal feel and sound). Getting into this habit
really helped me when I had to give the other truck a 9.08 sec. lead ...
kept my eyes on the tree, counted to 6 and started loading my convertor,
watched my tach to do the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Only then did I look to
see where he was ... waaay, waaay down the track ... that's when that
sinking feeling set in BUT I was not at WOT and it was strictly up
to the motor!!!

>I have never raced with an automatic, always been a manual, but even then
people
>said I had a screwy style. So pointers are appreciated, or just what you
tend to
>do that works.

I manually shift through the gears. For my truck, if I let the tranny do
the shifting,
I usually run 0.2 sec. slower. If you know what rpm your peak hp occurs,
you can
generally begin by shifting about 500 rpms above it and experiment from there
to get the max. potential out of your particular engine and your tranny.

Hope this helps. Good luck and ENJOY!!!

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95