Re: Re: Re: 45RFE slippage..was comming in peace...hehehe

From: Ed (ed@ithink.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 15:18:03 EDT

Hi all,

Stall Converters 101 ...

  "Stall Speed" is the RPM at which the veins in the converter quit
cavitating and it theoretically locks up and drives 1:1.

  Stall can be construed as "SLIP" ... And when you SLIP you get way hot.
 as in the fluid turns to vapor ]

  Stall speed is determined primarily by housing diameter AND engine torque,
secondarily by internal configuration.

  Conclusion : Stall converters on the street, require huge coolers and
pretty much preclude towing, lest you like rebuilding burned up
transmissions.

  Because you can sit at the light and free-wheel the rpm's right into the
power band with light brake pressure, they will launch quite nicely. Slush
boxes are also quite a bit easier on the other driveline components, so they
really rock for racing.

HTH
--Ed