Re: Tonneau Cover questions.

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 11:58:02 EDT

No modifications neccessary. You'll only have tonneau problems if you
have an over-the-rail liner, which you don't. If you want over-the-rail
coverage and a tonneau, I think you can pull that off with the spray-in
liners (which, now knowing what I know, I should have gotten). Any
clamp-on soft tonneau will work just fine as far as I know.

I have a Downey SST. I like it because there aren't any snaps that you
have to line up like with the Extang or most others. The rails have a
channel on them and there are snaps that fit into it at any point. Most
other covers you have to align the male and female parts of the snaps,
which can be a pain. Also, it was about $20-$30 cheaper than anything
else offered locally (I have since learned that my local speed shops are
a rip-off for most stuff, unless you can bring them a lower proce from
somewhere else and they give it to you for that price). Jason Belazard
has a similar setup that's a little more secure on his; I can't recall
the name of it, unfortunately, but it was cheaper than mine and has 3
bows compared to my 2. Downside of the SST - the back rail doesn't
clamp or clip in; it slides into the ends of the side rails and is
secured by the cover itself. The front rail is the same way but feels
more secure. Also, there are no straps on the front to allow you to
roll the cover up and tie to the front of the bed. It's either all the
way on or all the way off. I may try to rig up a roll strap system;
shouldn't be too hard. All in all, I like it.

The Downey SST can be found at http://www.dp-sst.com/2sst-info.htm

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759 -------------------------------------------------------------