Re: Re DML R/T has no power

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 20:01:20 EDT

At 07:42 PM 7/19/00 EDT, you wrote:
>no its not a purple cam in my r/t , that was my mistake. The cam i used was
>the magnum r/t cam pt No. P5249549 and it was installed at a local Dodge
>dealership.

I've heard that, to get the most out of the Magnum R/T cam, it should be
installed centerline straight up.

>Does the r/t not come with a factory cat-back system?

Yes and a pretty good one from what I've heard and read.

>And how would i know if i had a bad cat?

You would start getting a sulphur smell. A bad cat may/should trigger
a 'Check Engine' light or a MIL code. Another way is to put a scanner
on the truck and read the 2nd O2 sensor's output.

>My air cleaner is an edelbrock 10x3" open air element . Is that adequate?

This is probably a problem area. If you want to stay with the open air
system,
go to a 14x ~3".

>I am running on stock tires and my time before the mods was 15.8 sec and
15.3
>after.

FWIW, I cut 3/10s off my ET by going with BFG drag radials.

>There should have been better gains for that kind of money.
>Dodge advertises 46 hp and 51 lbs of torque with these add on's .
>Mods :
>headers
>camshaft
>edelbrock open air element
>jet chip
>T.B

Those figures are maximum possible gains and include having the MP computer
and Gen II air filter system (very expensive in Canada) as well as the cam
and cat-back.

A shift kit would also help.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95