Re: Milan trip...HELP!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:48:47 EDT

Hi, Chuck

At 07:36 AM 7/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I went to Milan last night hoping to make it into the 15's,
>but I was unsuccessful. I don't understand it. Before making
>any mods at all I ran a 16.08 @ 84 mph. Now I have an Dynomax exhaust,
>Quick-D intake & TB, Autolite 3923 (gapped at 0.042) & Mopar PCM and
>the best I did was a 16.12 @ 84 mph. Weather conditions were similar
>to the day I ran a 16.08 except that it was overcast vs sunny. I wasn't
>getting a lot of wheel spin during take offs. I made a run while manually
>shifting, a run with O/D off, a run with O/D on, but all my runs were at
16.1X.
>I need help figuring out what the heck I'm doing wrong. I would think my
times
>should be in the mid to upper 15's. Is there any reason why some of the
added
>HP from my mods isn't making it to the rear wheels? Chuck

If you like, could you send all the info. on your timeslips for the 16.08
run and the 16.12 run (and the others from last night would be helpful as well
... reaction times aren't needed).

Just from the information from your post, there should have been some
gains from the addition of the PCM (0.20 at least). I would not think that
the Dynomax would add very much (100ths) as the stock exhaust is a fairly
good one.
I would experiment with the gapping of the Autolites starting at 0.035
but again gains will be, if any, very small (100ths).

Some things to consider:
 Were your burnouts and launches (torque converter load-up and rpm) consistent
  with the one on your 16.08 run.
 Did you reset the MP computer before you started racing.
 How close was the track surface conditions to when you ran the 16.08.
 Were tire pressures the same.
 Were you going through the traps at/near the same rpms.
 Your Durango is extremely heavy (4800+ lb. ?) and your tires are nearly
  30" in diameter. If you replaced the stock tires, what are the diameters
  of the stock tires?

Off hand, without having dyno figures to analyze and having info. on any of
the above, my guess is that tranny slippage is playing a large part.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95