4.7 gets new plugs/findings

From: Ryan Rodgers (rodgers_ryan@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 20:57:29 EDT

With the wife in LA for a seminar this week (We live in Ohio), I had some
time yank the stock plugs out of my 4.7 (with 3250 miles). First, the stock
plugs are supposed to be gapped at .040. Well, they were all btween .035
and .038, with one at about .032. They weren't beat up too bad, but had a
little of the discoloration that others here have noted. So, in went the
trusty Autolites. Then a quick test drive to DQ for a shake to cool off.
The truck idles notably smoother now. It used to bounce between 500 and
700rpm at lights. Now it just sits smoothly at about 550rpm. Also, since I
put the Homebrew K&N this past weekend, I obviously had to test the new
plugs for performance as well. Pulling out the DQ I roll to about 12mph (I
don't want to light em up, too many cops around here). Then, I slam the gas
to floor, the tires chirp and off I go to about 50, where the truck shifts
to 3rd at about 5000rpm. Acceleration was nice and strong across the whole
rpm range. Gotta love the performance a simple plug change can bring.
Also, the best gas mileage I've ever had was 16.3, and I tried not to get on
the gas too much with that tankful. We'll see with the new plugs, but with
the stock plugs all gapped small, it's no wonder my mileage has not been as
good as other 4.7 owners. Well, enough rambling for now.
-RMR