Re: 4.7 gets new plugs/findings

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 21:28:07 EDT

I can't help but notice that a lot of DML'ers change old stock plugs for new
autolites and then report how it idled better, was more responsive etc. I know
that at least one person compared new to new and autolites still came out on top
in their mind (enough to convince me to run them). But I have to note that just
about any correctly gapped new plugs suitable for the engine are going to make a
nice difference over plugs with some mileage on them, at least for a while.
Apples and oranges. Try this for a test: when you take out your old plugs,
wire brush them shiny again, clean off all the deposits, re-gap them, and put
them back in. I bet you get a smoother idle, etc. assuming the old ones don't
have insulation, electrode, or internal damage. Shiny clean electrodes spark
much better.