Newbie with "Check Engine" light Gen III V-6

From: Dave Brickner (brick@hci.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 13:56:51 EDT

Hello,

I'm new to this list and joined because I was told that this is where I
could find out everything I ever wanted/needed to know about my Dakota.
First of all I love that Truck. It has been a fantastic vehicle.... but
perhaps I have neglected it a bit? I purchased it new in Dec of 1997.

It now has 49,526 miles and mostly I have changed the oil and filter
regularly @ ~ every 5,000 miles. I have not changed the PCV valve or the
spark plugs yet..... I know I need to do that! I have put new brakes and
changed the auto trans fluid and filter.

I would really like some help in diagnosing the "Check Engine" light which
is on constantly now. Yesterday it came on when I started it and it has
stayed on. I checked under the hood and all the hoses seem to be on ok.

I also hear that it can be a real problem changing spark plugs... something
about the boots are now firmly attached to the head and that plugs will
probably break before coming out??

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Brick