Re: Newbie with "Check Engine" light Gen III V-6

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 14:04:14 EDT

Hi Dave,

First off, Welcome to the DML! (Another fellow '97 V6'er)

You can get the codes from the '97 with the "Key ON - Key OFF" method. It's
really easy:

Turn the key to the START position three times (without starting the truck)
and on the third time, keep it in the START position and watch the LED
Display on the odometer. You will, more than likely, get a code 12 and then
followed by any other codes tripped in the computer.

As for the plugs, get yourself a "Flex-Head" 3/8" ratchet (Wal-Mart or Sears
work just fine) for that back plug on the driver-side. (Otherwise, you will
bust a knuckle or two trying to get tem out.)

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
http://www.toycrusher.com
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm