RE:Viper tranny to magnum engine?

From: Pinkley (gpinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 22:59:52 EDT

Okay, to clear up some of the misinformation about our HR/T Quad Cab project
truck. First thing, we at Hotchkis put a Viper 6-spd behind a 4.7L. We
modifed the Transmission bellhousing, input shaft and relocated the shifter
forward to the stock dakota location. A custom drive shaft was also made.
This is not an easy task, and is not recommended for the faint of heart. At
the time of Sport Truck's testing, we did not stiffen the rear end gear
ratio from the stock 3.92:1, To get the real benefit of the 6 speed trans,
the gearing needs to be put up to 4.27 or 4.56:1. This would give better
off the line power, but still maintain the driveability. Those published
numbers would be a lot quicker with a better gear ratio. Now, the viper
trans is a whole lot smoother and quieter than the new venture box it
replaced. Plus it takes High RPM better, which matches well with the SOHC
4.7L engine.

For those who are thinking of any Dakota trans swaps, the 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L
and the 4.7L share the same bell bolt pattern. ANY mopar truck trans will
be able to be bolted up to any of them, with the right combination of parts.
I currently am running a V-8 New Venture 5-spd trans behind my 3.9L V-6.

-Gary Pinkley