Re: Autolite Platnuims & Ping

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 07:46:04 EDT

Hi, Erika

At 05:07 AM 7/25/00 GMT, you wrote:
>My truck WAS running really well with the Autolite plugs. Smoothed out the
>rough idle, and the truck quit missing going down the road.... They have
>been in for about 3 - 4 weeks now, and I actually heard the truck start to
>ping again. I could barely hear it, and I don't hear it often, but that damn
>ping is back. So I guess now I will just try the regular copper plugs and
>see if that helps.

Try the 3923 reg. copper Autolite plugs and set gap to 0.040" for starters.

>Anyone have any ideas why just a simple plug might bring back the ping?
>Think a Jacobson or MSD Ignition would help, or make it worse? When they
>reflashed my computer, they supposedly retarded the time 4 degrees. But the
>truck ran to well, so I have a feeling they did more... but what I don't
>know.

The heat range of your plugs may be just at the borderline for your motor.
The 3923s are one range colder (dissipates the heat away from the tips
thus helps to reduce pinging but, if most of driving is stop and go, the
tips may begin to foul up ... does not get hot enough to burn off
deposits ... a couple hard accelerations or driving at hiway
speeds for a bit should burn off these deposits). If pinging still persists,
you could try 3922s (two ranges colder).

Hope this helps.

Bob