Spark plug removal/wire reroute TSB

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 19:42:54 EDT

I have several questions here.I apple-o-gize for starting another spark
plug thread(hee hee,get it?)As you may remember,I have 5 plugs left to
change!(Things didn`t work out).Well,after the service dept. corrects
their little fuel filter mod they did,and is unable to find my power
loss problem,I`ll need to put all my plugs in.My questions are as
follows: 1)Can I spray penetrating oil down around the plug first and
let it soak in,then try it? Bad idea?
2)Should the engine be cold,warm,or very warm when I try to pull `em?
3)Some of you have had them break on you.Anything to do or watch for if
that happens? I don`t want porcelain and metal bouncing on my pistons!
I did notice that the dealer had in fact done the wire reroute after
doing the belly pan gasket,(before I made the fuel filter discovery).But
there were a couple places where the wires were running parallel.#1 and
#3 were right along side each other,so I put some space between them.The
factory fix involves using plastic split loom,but I`m thinking rubber
fuel line slipped over the wires would work better.Anyone try that?
Isn`t rubber a better insulator? My Dak has actually run very good most
of the time since I put that one plug in! I apparently affected the
problem.I hate to mess around with the truck too much while it`s under
warranty,but if they once again find no problem on Wednesday with power
loss,I will probably buy some good wires and finish putting my plugs
in.Sorry I ramble,folks! I`m a ramblin`
guy....R..A..M..B..L..I..N.....apostrophe,oh yes I`m ramblin`....sing it
with me,everybody! Steve P.