Re: HPM; 3 Dak articles - WAS: RE: Mopar Now Magazine

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 23:19:29 EDT

At 07:43 PM 8/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone seen the October issue of High Performance MoPar? They have THREE
>articles on Dakotas.
>
>1) Y2K Dakota R/T: <snip>

>2) Continuing build-up of '97 Dak SLT CC, 5.2L/5-spd.
>Dyno Runs HP Torque
> Baseline - 176.9 248.5
> w/synthetics - 186.1 251.5
> +K&N filtercharger 193.1 267.2
> + Borla exhaust 202.0 264.9
> + MP Computer 200.6 270.6 *
>
>* they noted that although peak HP dropped with the MP computer, overall HP
>increased from 3000 to 4000 rpm. They thought that maybe the computer was
>retarding slightly due to some pinging, but they liked the computer.

>3) '87 Dak street machine <snip>

I haven't seen the issue yet but, by coincidence, I went to the track today
to test the capability of the '97 MP PCM auto. (CA version ... no Fed
version).
I did two runs with it and recorded both on the scanner.

First run: 15.854 @ 89.06 with manual 1-2 shift at 4800 and 2-3 shift at
5100.
Second run: 15.5523 @ 89.38 with both shifts at 5200.
On both runs, the tranny behaviour can best be described as begin the shift,
wait a second, do I really want to shift, and then, hell, complete the shift.

I have not gone over the recorded PCM outputs in detail but a limited look
indicated that timing across the rpm range was below that of the '96 MP PCM
and that there was a dramatic timing retard just at the 1-2 shift ... my son
made that the remark (when we saw this) that it was as if the PCM was
anticipating
a pinging situation.

On the third run, I put in the '96 MP PCM, shifted as in the second run
and got a 14.908 @ 92.09 (this was with a small lift-off on the 1-2 shift
to get the tranny to shift and TWO small lift-offs on the 2-3 shift to get
the shift to complete ... if any of you have seen the movie, Bullit, you'll
know how this sounds.).

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95