RE: RE: Re: Mopar Now Magazine

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 17:00:08 EDT

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Hehehe..and here's his actual response to my "opinion" of his
> recommendations....not to forget that he contradicted himself on Page 79
> "Dak Rocket".
>
> "My info comes from factory engineers and personal, firsthands knowledge of
> JTE engine controller hardware and software.
> Sure the engine can run. Sure it can even make more HP. But it can never be
> right. On a top-end run it will be lean and melt down.
> I stand behind what I wrote.
> Thanks for your friendly (?) input.
> Rick Ehrenberg, S.A.E."

   Heh heh heh! Notice he said he had firsthand experience with the
hardware and software, but didn't say anything about firsthand experience
with those parts on an engine. :-) Sounds like he based his answer in
theory. And he'd be right, in theory, if you opened the TB way up, but the
MPI and a slightly larger TB are fine. (I don't remember if the question
mentioned the 4bbl or not, I seem to think that it didn't.)

   Actually, I wouldn't mind getting my Dak to lean out a bit! And try to
tell Bill Tierney that his engine is going to melt down. :-) Ported TB,
MPI, 13s on the motor, and he runs juice on top of that! Plenty o passes
down the 1/4 (on the stock injectors even!) with no meltdown yet. :-) And
if anyone is worried about the consequences of running lean, its nitrous
users! Both he and I have Air/Fuel gauges; I'm not sure where his sits,
but mine is very rich at WOT.

    Regarding the warranty issue brought up by the other poster (John, I
believe?) the MPI won't void your warranty unless they can prove it caused
the damage in question. I had a lil' brain fart last year and shifted from
3rd to 2nd near redline and bent a few valves. The dealer fixed it under
warranty no questions asked. (Well, besides "what happened?" of course.) :-)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'