Re: DML:ABS Brakes-Depress Pedal Hard If You Got 'Em...or NOT

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 13:37:06 EDT

OK, to the best that I can recall, the reason that antilock brakes are found
standard on the back end of a truck is because of the weight ratio. Most
cars have a fair to awesome weight ratio. That means that the weight is
spread out on all four tires more evenly. On a Truck, be it the awesome
Dodge, a chebby or a ferd, the weight ratio flat out sucks. All the motor,
cab and driver weight on the front axle with just the bumper and bed on the
rear axle. What typically happened before rear antilock, if the brake locked
up, normally the front wouldn't because of the weight transfer but the back
would because it was so light, the rear of the truck would swing around and
then the driver would lose all control. Now with rear antilock, at least the
back end stays where it should, behind you. That is the reason for rear
antilock. Car and Driver did some test with a ferd crew cab dually, a
standard cab chebby and a Gen-II Dakota a while back and found that on dry or
wet asphalt that the rear antilock was superior in all vehicles. When they
got on wet concrete or dirt/gravel roads, they found all trucks to stop
better with the abs disconnected. For the majority of drivers, the Feds
decided that most would be on the asphalt, therefore the stand rear antilock.
 That is what I remember about it. So, if we could only figure out some way
how to have a toggle switch on our abs unit, then we could switch them
according to what we were planning on doing and where we are planning on
going. Sorry about being so long ion the post, but I just thought about that.

Will
Cylindrically Challenged V-6

Extrude honed heads and intake, 10.36:1 comp, Motorsport injectors, Holley
fuel pump, Holley regulator, NOS 180 shot, Nitto 255/50 R15 front, Nitto
265/45 r15 back

13.8@119.2mph