RE: Recommended Engine mods?? (esp. Mike D.)

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@starpower.net)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 14:00:12 EDT

Hey Austin,

    I'm pretty sure that Mike is using a '95 block and auto-O/D (A-518?). He
has to change his motor mounts because he is going from a premag to a
magnum. You may or may not have to. The reason I say this is because your
current V6 is roughly based on the 318. They use the same motor mounts.
However, the 360 uses a different mount on the driver's side. I'm not sure
if this is true for magnums, but it is for premags. The passenger side mount
should be the same, regardless.

    Your transmission should physically bolt up to the 360. Your problem
will be finding a flywheel. The 360 is externally balanced, meaning that it
needs a 360 flywheel. Also, mag 360's are balanced differently than premag
360's. I'd STRONGLY suggest finding a NV-3500 or maybe even adapting a
Richmond Gear trans. I doubt the AX-15 would handle the stock 360, much less
the one you want to build. If you really want to use your AX-15, the easiest
way would probably be to get your flywheel balanced to work with the 360.
This is accomplished by drilling.

    The ported heads are a good idea. Do yourself a favor and get the ones
from MP. Its very easy for a "porter" to make the head flow worse if they
aren't familiar with magnum heads. An M1 intake would be a good add-on, too.
Headers are a must, I'd get the Mopar or Mesa's, and you should run a full
3" exhaust. The TB is your choice. I personally have had much better results
using the stock TB on my truck, but I don't have a blower.

    Blowers like cams with around 114 lobe separation. Duration should be
matched to the gears and tires you are running. The blower will extend the
powerband of the cam, so be conservative. Get as much lift as you can get
without valvetrain interference. Make sure you get matching valve springs &
retainers! Roller rockers would stabilize the valvetrain, especially with
chrome-moly pushrods. (Get all of it from Hughes' Engines). Also, when them
call them, ask them what a good compression ratio would be. I'd guess at
between 8.0:1 - 8.5:1. You'll need MP valve covers to clear the rockers.

    I would run forged pistons with the blower. Get the block bored and
honed WITH A TORQUE PLATE. Use moly rings. I'd suggest a high volume oil
pump, and full-groove main bearings. This will increase oiling to the crank
and increase reliability. Get the whole assembly balanced.

    Now, you probably already know that you're going to need a custom
computer to make all of this work correctly. I hear that Superchips can do
Dak computers up to '95. If you have a '96 or newer, send it to Ron Zimmer.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :-).....

Doug Myers

'99 Dakota RC/SB 318/5-speed/3.92SG
Accel Supercoil, MP 7.5mm Plug Wires, Brass Cap & Rotor, Custom Computer,
K&N "Gen II" FIPK, 180 Degree Thermostat, MP Cam/Lifters/Valve
Springs/Retainers, MP Double Roller Timing Chain, MP Headers, MP Cat-Back,
BFG 275/60R15's, Continental Hard Tonneau