Re: Recommended Engine mods?? (esp. Mike D.)

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 16:15:26 EDT

long........

Austin- I'm using a 95 block and 94 a518 tranny. I'm going with an auto
because they are stronger than the available 5 speeds, and my truck is
already an auto anyway. I'm going with the good ol' "big cam high
compression" method to acheive hp, but blowers are good too =)
Here is some stuff to think about: A n/a 360 will toast that poor AX
tranny quick, then add a blower and you'll need to carry and push broom
with ya =). I recommend an NV3500, but the 360 will probably blow that up
too. I was debating sellin' out and going to 5 speed, and I was gonna'
use a NV4500, which is what they put in Diesel Rams. As far as I know, it
was available in 360 Rams too. The problem with this tranny is that it's
BIG and HEAVY, so driveshaft mods may be in order. As far as motormounts,
I don't see how yours wouldn't work. I mean, the 6er is the same width as
the 360, it's just a 360 is longer. I don't foresee a motormount swap
necessary. If so, run to the dealer and pick up some 318 motor mounts.
For wiring, unless you're planning to run DFI, get yourself a Dakota 318
wiring harness (I'm still trying to locate one) for 92-95. They are all
the same as far as I know..
For internals, I personally would beef it up anyway. Get some nice forged
pistons at 9:1 CR or lower. If you go with a 8.5:1 CR you could easily
run mad boost without pinging. A forged crank and that kind of thing are
good insurance, as are good roller rockers, heavy duty valve springs
(good idea), and some strong pushrods that can hold up to high RPM's just
in case. When you open the motor up, check the heads. I can about promise
you will find a nice little crack in the #7 and/or #8 chamber between the
valve seats. These cracks aren't terminal, and will hold up to n/a runs,
but I don't know about under boost. Have the machine shop pressure test
them and get their opinion. When you port the heads, don't mess with the
exhuast side. You can go as big as 2.02 valves in the intake side (I got
a buddy who's goin' even bigger!). You should flow test the heads before
you choose cam, and pick a cam profile that works best with your heads. A
lot of number crunchin', but it pays off when you get handed that 11 sec
time slip!
try to make the engine as bulletproof as possible. It sure sucks to break
something.
I just thought of something.... when you go with a tb, you may not want
to go too big. When you're using forced induction, velocity is the key to
high boost levels. If you go too big with the tb, you may loose boost...
just a thought (I know it's a problem in turbo applications)

if you have any more ?'s, drop me a line man!!

-mike d.

miggitymike@juno.com
http://surf.to/Project13s
PROJECT 13's ----> slammed 88 Dakota, 360 swap in progress!!

      "support your local economy... lower your truck"

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:44:10 EDT DICEMAN469@aol.com writes:
> Mike D. - What year block are you installing?? Tranny?? I won't ask
> all the
> particulars because we're both going to approach our HP goals in
> different
> ways (N/A vs. Forced Induction) and we've still got a track to
> scorch. I'm
> just curious about things such as your motor mounts. I can't
> determine if I
> have to change them or not. You may say yes, but then again that may
> be
> because you had a premag, and the premags have different motor
> mounts than
> the mags, which I don't know if that's true either. I know you
> didn't go
> stick, but I'm not absolutely sure my AX-15 is going to work with
> the V8. I
> know it'll bolt up, but I don't know about the clutch and flywheel
> combination. I know I know, I shouldn't hook the AX-15 to the 360,
> but to
> hell with it. If it stays in one piece terrific, if it blows up,
> either way
> I'm still changing the tranny.
>
> As for the motor, anyone have any recommendations on work to it? I'm
> talking
> internal mods here, I've heard about as much as I can about autolite
> 3923's
> as I could bear (grin). Head work? Cam specs? I'm already seriously
> considering the Magnum Performance TB, simply because the bore is
> larger and
> the huffer can get more air to the engine. As far as everything
> else, I'm
> willing to sarcrifice horsepower for reliability so I'm probably
> going to
> leave the bottom end alone. I just want to get A/F in and out as
> quickly as
> possible. So, what do the gurus think?
>
> -Austin
> Vipertruck