Re: Coolant/Cooling Products, etc

From: Mitchell Carson (Mitchell.Carson@dalsemi.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 08:42:05 EDT

Hi Kyle,

You can't go wrong with good 'ole Prestone and distilled water (50:50 mix). I've been using this mixture for over 20 years now and have yet to experience cooling system problems (8 vehicles...knock on wood). The key, as you already know, is to drain, flush and replace the coolant on a regular basis (max 2 years). The primary problem that most cooling systems have is a build-up of calcium/minerals in the radiator core. This stems from the use of ordinary tap water. I always used distilled water (the stuff without the added minerals) in my vehicles. I typically use Prestone Super Flush...it helps loosen any rust in the water jackets.

I've heard that the new 'long life' antifreeze is not compatible with the old style coolant. You'll probably need to completely flush the system of the old coolant. I can't say whether the new style coolant is better as I haven't used it. I have no need to change from something that I know works.

I've heard tales of water pump lubricants and various additives causing problems in some vehicles. Frod (say it out loud and catch the meaning)...<ahem, I mean Ford> warns of premature water pump failures when using water pump lube additives. Again, I can't comment on the RedLine or DEI stuff as I haven't come across the need for them.

BTW, I really appreciate the information you sent me regarding the MSD filter.

-Mitch