Alternator Answers

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 07:41:24 EDT

Ok Kyle, here's what I found out. First off, it's not possible to
'overcharge' a battery. However, it is possbile to ruin a small battery
when hooking it up to a big alternator. It will warp the plates inside.
So, if you want to go to the 120 amp alternator, you'll need to buy a bigger
battery.
Just for reference, here are the OEM #'s for the 3 alternators available in
93:
121000-3460 - which is the 75amp
121000-3470 - which is the 90amp
121000-4130 - which is the 120amp
All of these are Nippendenso alternators with 7-groove pulleys.
Now, I can get you a remanufatured 120amp (Nippendenso) for around $120 plus
around $5 to get it to you (he should get the exact price today, hopefully).
  They do not remanufacture these themselves for some reason. They buy them
from a company out of California, called Aim, and then resell them. He said
he would also look to see how much a new one would be - there might not be a
big price difference.
As far as a warranty, it would be 90 days - 12000 miles. He said in your
case there is usually no warranty at all. Whenever an alternator is used
for something it's not intended for...i.e.- more lights, emergency vehicles,
heavy equipment, big sound systems..... they don't honor the warranty.
Finally, some suggestions he made were to increase the battery size to one
with the largest reserve capacity that will fit in the truck if you go with
the 120amp(he said usually the longer the warranty on the battery, the
larger the plates are inside). Also, you might consider rewiring the lights
with a heavier gauge wire to cut down on resistance. And there is always
the option to wire directly to the back of the alternator (though if you go
with the 120amp and a bigger battery, you don't really have to).
Hope all this helps. Let me know if you are really interested and I'll get
you some definite prices.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/