Re: RE: Alternator Question

From: Shawn Villaire (s_villaire@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 07:46:09 EDT

No, a higher amperage alternator will not harm your battery. It can only
help keep your battery at its full potential. Most alternators have built
in voltage regulators to prevent overcharging. I used to run a 120 amp
alternator to keep up with the demands of my power draining sound system,
the stock alt. was only 65 amps. Hope this helps.

Shawn

--- Kenneth Berntsen <kenneth@berntsen.cc> wrote:
> What I remember being told by a mechanic friend once was that the
> alternator would only bring the battery up to where it was before you
> started the vehicle and from there run any electrical equipment you had.
> So
> I don't really see the higher amperage alternator overcharging your
> battery.
>

> It is possible that a 120amp alternator could possibly 'overcharge' a
> battery and do damage to it? Reason being is that I would like to be
> able to
> run all 6 of the lights on my truck at one time; stock headlamps, 2
> Hella
> 55watt XL driving/fog lights, 2 Hella 6" Round 55watt Flood Lights. I
> have
> noticed that the battery guage on the dash goes down a good amount when
> running all the lights and think a 120amp alternator would cure this. My
> current alternator is the small 75amp Nippondenso unit and I think it
> can no
> longer keep up. I was quoted $160 for a 120amp Bosche unit. Where else
> can I
> check for possibly a lower price? Someone on the list has/had good
> connections with alternators........who are you!?!?
> I want a new one, not one from the junkyard. I wouldnt mind a
> remanufactured
> one though! Anything with warranty I guess. I plan on buying a new
> battery
> this fall and would also like to upgrade the alternator to handle all
> the
> electrical items I have added to my truck.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

=====
00 CC 4X4 Sport, 4.7l,flowmaster cat-back, k&n homebrew open air filter,180 t-stat,autolite 3923's,more to come....