Re: Alternator Answers

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 11:35:58 EDT

> Ok Kyle, here's what I found out. First off, it's not possible to
> 'overcharge' a battery. However, it is possbile to ruin a small battery
> when hooking it up to a big alternator. It will warp the plates inside.
> So, if you want to go to the 120 amp alternator, you'll need to buy a
bigger
> battery.
> Just for reference, here are the OEM #'s for the 3 alternators available
in
> 93:
> 121000-3460 - which is the 75amp
> 121000-3470 - which is the 90amp
> 121000-4130 - which is the 120amp
> All of these are Nippendenso alternators with 7-groove pulleys.
> Now, I can get you a remanufatured 120amp (Nippendenso) for around $120
plus
> around $5 to get it to you (he should get the exact price today,
hopefully).
> They do not remanufacture these themselves for some reason. They buy
them
> from a company out of California, called Aim, and then resell them. He
said
> he would also look to see how much a new one would be - there might not be
> big price difference.
> As far as a warranty, it would be 90 days - 12000 miles. He said in your
> case there is usually no warranty at all. Whenever an alternator is used
> for something it's not intended for...i.e.- more lights, emergency
vehicles,
> heavy equipment, big sound systems..... they don't honor the warranty.
> Finally, some suggestions he made were to increase the battery size to one
> with the largest reserve capacity that will fit in the truck if you go
with
> the 120amp(he said usually the longer the warranty on the battery, the
> larger the plates are inside). Also, you might consider rewiring the
lights
> with a heavier gauge wire to cut down on resistance. And there is always
> the option to wire directly to the back of the alternator (though if you
go
> with the 120amp and a bigger battery, you don't really have to).
> Hope all this helps. Let me know if you are really interested and I'll
get
> you some definite prices.

Aaron,
Thanks alot for the info. Since he could not offer myself any warranty, I
really wouldnt be all that interested. I can go to any Pep Boys, Autozone,
or literally ANY local auto part store in my area purchase an alternator
with full warranty, reguardless of what I will be using it for. The auto
part stores dont care if I am running 10 lights, a winch, an onboard welder,
etc.......just as long as I pay for the part, they will honor the warranty!
I really do appreciate all the info and researching you have done,
especially with the part numbers. Just for background info, here are just 3
prices I found:
*Autozone;
-$115.99, after core
-120 amp