RE: gears are in!! (gear noise?)

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 17:05:50 EDT

Yah, this brings up one of those questions that seems so unlikely to produce
anything but opinions (because it's so subjective), but I've been wanting to
ask --

I definitely feel grinding through the shift knob and a 'grindy' noise is
audible (especially at lower speeds), and I wonder often how much of that is
normal. It doesn't feel or sound abnormal per se, nothing scary sounding,
but it's definitely more noticeable than other cars I've owned (all manual
transmission).

If I really tried to describe it it wouldn't be like a 'crunchy' grinding,
it's smooth, more like maybe a slo-mo gear whine. I've just been assuming
that since this a truck and not a passenger car, it sounds like a truck! See
why this is such a difficult question? Ha ha ha!

I guess I can check the oil for metal shavings, as Chuck mentioned. Is
transmission noise/vibration evident on all youse guys' trucks? To what
degree?

TIA,

- Alex
00 RC SLT V6 5-Speed