Re: RE: gears are in!! (gear noise?)

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 18:00:43 EDT

    Yep these thing are very subjective as you say. I can tell you that I
never heard any noise regardless of speed/load and the was no grinding
felt in the shifter. There was the "normal vibration" which is typical of
floor shifter (you can see it vibrate).
    I would definitely recommend you pop the cover off and check your fluid.
Hopefully you won't find anything, but peace of mind is a big thing ;-)

Chuck Robbins
'99 Intense Blue Dakota Sport
www.intense99dak.com

> Yah, this brings up one of those questions that seems so unlikely to
produce
> anything but opinions (because it's so subjective), but I've been wanting
> ask --
>
> I definitely feel grinding through the shift knob and a 'grindy' noise is
> audible (especially at lower speeds), and I wonder often how much of that
is
> normal. It doesn't feel or sound abnormal per se, nothing scary sounding,
> but it's definitely more noticeable than other cars I've owned (all manual
> transmission).
>
> If I really tried to describe it it wouldn't be like a 'crunchy' grinding,
> it's smooth, more like maybe a slo-mo gear whine. I've just been assuming
> that since this a truck and not a passenger car, it sounds like a truck!
See