Re: Re: CDR's

From: Gensch, Travis (Travis.Gensch@qtiworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 09:44:48 EDT

I believe the reason that some CDR's cannot be played has to do with
differing wavelengths for the reading laser. A audio CD player has one
wavelength, a CDR drive has another wavelength, CDRW has another wavelength
and DVD has another wavelength. I believe the audio and CDR wavelengths are
close enough that they can be read, usually at least the newer drives. CDRW
disks are closer to DVD drives. I have seen DVD's that cannot play CDR's,
but can play CDRW disks. The newer CD readers are marked as Multi-read if
they can read CD, CDR, CDRW and I believe also DVD.

So, if the CD will play in one car player but not the other, it is usually a
problem with a picky drive. Try different media brands until you find one
that works and stick with it. The problem is just because you bought one
brand of CDR media, the next batch may not be the same. Some CDR brands
farm disk manufacturing out to other places, so things are not guaranteed to
be the same. There is a program called CDRIdentifier that lists the actual
maker of the disk along with other info like the dye type that you may want
to check out.

The major difference between CDR's marked as Home Audio disks vs. computer
CDR's is that the home audio have a special code marking them. Home Audio
CD burners look for this code and will not burn the disk unless it has this
code. Some money from the sale of these disks goes to the recording
industry. Other than that, I have heard that these disks are the exact same
as computer CDR's.

Travis

In a message dated 8/17/00 2:46:57 PM Central Daylight Time,