RE: Re: Re: Supercharger Guru's (or anyone else thats a guru with tuning an engine)

From: Hausheer, Geoffrey (geoffrey.hausheer@intel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 10:20:45 EDT

Really accurate, I would agree with, but an O2 sensor can only check a/f
ratio right around it's operating range. The computer uses the O2 sensor to
keep the engine running a bit lean (by toggling between being on the rich
and lean side of the curve) But the sensors produce very low voltage
differentials at anything other than their operating point, making it very
difficult to get accurate readings of anything other than the ideal a/f
ratio (there is some data, but it is very hard to calibrate against, and
signal noise usually swamps it out). Take a look at the blue SAE manual,
under (I think) the Bosch O2 sensor if you want to see what the curve looks
like (I can approximate that it looks like the follwong (i.e. almost
completely binary)):
    ^
1.5V|________
    | \
    | \
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | \
    | \__________
    <-lean-->^<-rich---->

          --operating point (somewhere near stoichiometric efficiency)
(I may have the voltage range wrong, it has been a while since I've used
these things)

I know they've done some work to make this look more like an S-curve, so
that closed loop analysis can be more useful, but I remember reading that it
didn't help too much, and the new sensors were really expensive (like
$500?). I couldn't find any data on it though.

.Geoff