RE: Re: RE: Gun control (not DML issue or is it?)

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 12:43:58 EDT

Hey Jerry --

I noted in my post that the gun ownership numbers included military
personnel, which would include anyone in Switzerland who had a gun at home
as part of their guard service -- that was an aspect of the methodology I
thought it was important to note, and I assume this is why the number is a
surprisingly high 27%. I'm not sure exactly why you think this creates a
'hole' in the numbers, but please let me know. My only goal is to look at
the situation realistically, so any additional information is always
welcome.

Please note also that I was not drawing any conclusions based on these
stats, and I was not looking for any correlation between gun ownership and
gun homicide. I simply posted the numbers in response to earlier posts about
homicide rates in different countries.

Please write back off-list if you like, I feel guilty for taking up too much
of the DML's already-burdened bandwidth with my recent responses to
off-topic posts (even though they were only responses!!)!

Thanks,

- Alex
aharris@signcast.com