Re: Jason & Norah's trip WAS Virus warning

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 08:32:04 EDT

--- Andy Levy <andylevy@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> So you DID get a Durango out there? Good deal!

Yep, Discount (Canadian rental company) gave us a Durango. They
didn't want to very badly, though. I think they had more
reservations for 4x4s than actual vehicles. First he asked me if it
*had* to be a 4x4, or if I wouldn't really be happier with a minivan
that would hold more people. I politely told him that I reserved the
4x4 because that was what I wanted. He then got the other guy
sitting next to him to get on the computer and start looking for
Durangos available at other locations. Turns out the office I was at
had at least one, guess they needed more.

Then a few minutes later he said, "okay, looks like you have a choice
between two vehicles. First is a Durango, but the other is one of
those really cool new PT Cruisers. Even I haven't had a chance to
drive that one yet. Wouldn't that be great?"

Norah and I said in unison, "Durango, *please*." Someone out there
may think we were nuts for passing up the PT, but we were planning on
being able to sleep in the back of the Durango with the seats folded
down. Worked pretty well, too. We only pitched the tent two nights.
 Biggest problem with sleeping in the truck was getting in to it once
the seats were folded down and we had the air mattresses and sleeping
bags set up.

Oh yeah, it was a 2000 model with the 4.7, chili pepper red.
Automatic of course. 31" tires. All the power gizmos (I never will
learn to leave the power turned on so we can roll up the stupid
windows -- why don't they give you 60 seconds of power on those after
you shut the key off???) And it had a security system that I didn't
know about until I set it off in the middle of the night by opening
the back door to get a little air (tried rolling the window down,
realized the power was turned off). They had the alarm configured to
turn itself on only when you hit the power locks, then closed the
door. No remote control on the key chain. Is this a factory thing,
or something the rental company added?

(don't stop reading yet -- more below)

> Watch out though, those
> things have a lot less clearance than our GenIIIs - I put my truck
> next
> to my father's Durango and it looks like he's scraping the ground.
> We
> measured at the trailer hitch and found mine sits 3" higher than
> his.

Just curious, did you measure at the front as well? I know the
Dakotas tend to sit a little ass-high without a load in the bed. I
knew the Durangos were lower, but I'm surprised to find out it's that
much.

But for us, this is the good thing about having two trucks. One for
off-roading, the other for daily driving, road trips and camping in
campgrounds where clearance isn't an issue. Actually, I think the
chances are better of us winding up in a quad cab Dak with a shell on
it (having room to pile stuff to the ceiling, lock it, and not
worrying about it blowing away was quite convenient). I didn't care
for having to clean off the bottom of the cooler before setting it on
the carpet in the back, I prefer a bed with an indestructible
spray-in liner. Only problem is the bed of the quad cab isn't quite
long enough to sleep in. Have to see what we can figure out when the
time comes.

=====