RE: Coupla Questions...

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 17:15:03 EDT

First thought... find yourself another dealer to get your truck worked on!
( I know, this is a pain in the ass, your other choice is to take some
whoop-ass pills and go into the current service department you visit and let
them have it)

I very much doubt that the bump your are feeling is from the gas shifting
around.
It sounds more like your transmission (bands incorrectly adjusted, broken
mount)? It could be a number of other things to (and hopefully other DML'ers
will give you some more ideas, since transmissions are not my strong point).
(You don't say if your truck is Auto or Manual transmission... I'm assuming
Auto.)
The squeak you hear... where does it come from? Under the hood? Under the
truck? Is it more like a squeal? does it have a rhythm to it (ie, cause by
something rotating)?
If it is under the truck, and you're having tranny problems, and you have a
bad smell coming thru the vents, it may be as simple as a leak in the tranny
fluid cooling lines. Again, this assumes your truck has the tranny cooler
(look at the bottom of your Rad., if you see steel lines coming out of the
two bottom corner of the Rad., you probably have a tranny cooler).

Burning tranny fluid could account for the bad smell. A low fluid level will
account for the squeal (if the noise is coming from under the truck), and
the bump (hard downshift) could also be explained by low tranny fluid level.
What does the smell remind you of? If you have coolant in the vent/ducts
(bad heat exchanger) the anti-freeze will give off a sweat, syrup like
smell.

Check your trans fluid (read the owners manual if you're not sure how to do
this correctly).

And why do I say get another service department? Your paragraph about the
pulling to the right.
Tires on a new truck will not cause you to pull either direction, poor
alignment, or more likely improperly adjusted brakes (since it occurs while
braking only?), will cause the pulling. (read al the recent threads about
warped brake rotors). Rotating the tires to balance uneven tire wear AFTER
you correct the source of the problem.

I'd also start keeping a log of the problems you have, what the service
departments told you, what their 'fix' for the problem was, and who you
dealt with. It will help a lot if you need to take your problems to a higher
level.

Good Luck,

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI
Mopar HiPo Comp - Thorley Headers - Gibson Catback Exhaust