Re: BRAKE PROBLEMS - Contact NHTSA !!

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 19:11:11 EDT

Tim J Koth wrote:

> If everyone who has had a problem complains to the NHTSA then maybe THEN we
> will get a re-call. A crappy set of brakes is a safety issue and the NHTSA
> can force a re-call.

Tim,

Safety issue in yours and my minds doesn't count. Sad reality. Need
further proof? Look at the number and severity of accidents caused by
the Firestone tire deal(nothing personal Patrick). A number of people
would have to die or be severely injured for there to be any chance of a
recall. The NHTSA is now taking heat for they way they handled the tire
issue, but don't expect any earth shaking changes anytome soon. A
vibration(annoyance, possibly causes premature wear on other components)
will never warrant a recall. A TSB possibly, but that is another issue.

I went through this same sort of deal with my front brakes on a '98. The
front caliper bolt was stripped from the factory. There is even a TSB on
it. The local dealer says they won't fix it because I serviced the
brakes myself and I MUST have stripped it. Hmmmmm, and I guess that TSB
exists because I'm the only "unlucky" one. Also, the items I was
servicing(replaced pads and rotors) were not warranty covered items. I
think they were just jabbing me because I didn't spend that service
money in THEIR shop.

I wish you guys luck with that email complaint. You'll get form letter
from a live person if you persist. I've already gone down that road.
I'll go so far as to predict that nothing will come of it. They'll stall
and stonewall. It's DC's way of handling borderline issues when the
burden of proof is clearly on the consumer. I would hope that mentality
will change but for today. that's just the way it is.

As I said, replaced my pads and rotors with Powerslots and some carbon
fiber pads. Definitely works better and I've leaned on the brakes pretty
hard since with no signs of warpage on this new setup.

Good luck.

Bob