RE: Intense Performace Cone Filters - Attn: Tony as well

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 09:10:55 EDT

One other item to keep in the equation is the intake tube size. A smaller
tube will give you better offline performance but will cut out (peak) at the
top end. If you haven't noticed this, the K&N/Mopar Gen-II Intake System
uses a 4" tube and a 6"x9" cone. This system will flow almost 900CFM. Our
trucks use a TB that will flow up to (approx.) 600CFM on the V8's.
(Modified...they'll flow even more.) However, 900CFM is a lot for a stock
(or even slightly modified) engine and we'll never see that high anyway
unless we're pushing 5500+ RPM's. For everyday applications
(Street/Strip/Offroad), Tony's system is more than adequate.

>From personal experience:

"Home-Brew" (3" PVC Pipe): Great throttle response runs better than factory
up to the limiter
K&N Gen-II (4" Tube): Same as above but pulls harder from 2500+RPM

Tony, Have you tried a 4" tube yet? Fernco makes adapters that fit the
stock airhat to a 4" tube

- Bernd