RE: 3923 update

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 22:49:16 EDT

With the beefed-up ignition, it's sounded from previous discussions like
.045 is a good gap to start with. Then, and correct me if I'm wrong someone,
I think I've read that after a certain point a wider gap will get you
slightly better fuel economy at the cost of a little performance, and vice
versa?

For me the "try it and see" technique worked pretty well. When I got the
3923's I gapped them at .045 and found immediately that that was too wide a
gap for the stock ignition, I could feel a loss of power and rougher idle.
When I gapped back down to .040, these sensations went away. Also, when I
pulled them to regap, they were very sooty after just 250 miles, which
confirmed my very scientific measurements (i.e. "feeling").

It's possible that the ignition could handle .050 like Chuck's truck, but
I'd try it and see what kind of response you get.

- Alex

P.S. Wal-Mart and Pep Boys are places people have frequently found 3923's. I
found mine at NAPA.