RE: Re: MP Computer installed

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 09:08:24 EDT

Hold on there John...there is NO WAY that a colder plug can retard the
timing. Don't worry about that at all with the new MP Computer. Secondly,
one heat range colder will NOT shorten the life of your engine is you do
regular maintenance on the engine itself (mainly oil changes and tuneups).

Why is higher octane fuel required? The easiest (and least technical)
answer is this:

Advanced Timing ignites the fuel at an earlier state...this depends on how
much earlier: (+1 to +5 degrees BTDC). Given that the air/fuel mixture is
ignited earlier, you need a slower burn fuel to prevent the mixture from
burning too quickly (this causes "Pinging"). This is where the higher
octane fuel is required. Now, running a more aggressive/advanced timing
curve will also create more internal heat (combustion chamber) so this is
why either higher octane fuel (preferred method), a colder spark plug (no
more than 1 heat range colder), or cooler Thermostat will help your engine
from "pinging". It will NOT hurt it. The preferred method is still Higher
octane fuel but this is entirely up to your pocketbook...but take it up at
least one range on the fuel. If you already have the one range colder plugs
(3923's) RUN WITH THEM.

It IS, however, recommended by Mopar to run 92...you may want to do this
since the more aggressive timing curves in the MP Computer will (more than
likely) cause "pinging" with 87 octane fuel.

- Bernd