Re: MP Computer installed

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 08:47:27 EDT

Now I'm really confused. With a stock computer, everyone, and I mean
EVERYONE is saying that you need to install colder plugs. This bit of advise
is being told to everyone whether they have ping problems or not. Check the
archives and one thing will stand out "Get 5223 or 3923 Autolites and your
truck will run better". There is even someone who says they have a dyno
chart that shows the colder plugs develop more horsepower. Now I understand
that colder plugs retard the timing a bit, but if this is bad, then why is
everyone being told to install them?

Yes, I know the MP comp advances the timing and this is one of the ways it
makes more power so I would be defeating the computer to an extent, but I
still eliminate the ping right? And at fraction of the cost of constantly
filling up with more expensive gas. On the stock computer, 89 and higher
octane made my trucks performance drop. The power wasn't there and my
mileage went down.

But, now that I have the MP comp all I'm hearing is that cold plugs are bad
and will lead my engine to an early death because the plugs won't cure the
ping, whether I can actually hear it or not. Everyone is saying to ditch the
plugs and put higher octane gas in the tank.

Folks, I'm getting as tired of this thread as you are and aside from sending
a "Thank you" message to all who made worthwhile contributions when it's
over I still haven't seen a single post that says why higher octane is
needed and colder plugs are bad. The only thing I have heard is "Welcome to
the fried piston club", "Mopar says you need to run 92 octane", "We know
what we're talking about". I don't doubt any of these things except for one
thing. No one has yet said WHY this is.

John