Body lift (was: Tired of getting slammed)

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 18:26:42 EDT

Good information, thanks. Me, I'm still thinking of getting a body
lift some day regardless.

You know where he talks about IFS making suspension lifts a lot more
expensive? That's us.

Plus, I have yet to find a suspension kit for the Daks that I really
like. The Rancho kit might be okay, I haven't had a chance to look
at it up close. I don't personally care for the Tough Country lift
because of the extra brackets that hang down underneath the
suspension components. Without larger tires, you would *lose*
clearance with this kit.

The TrailMaster kit isn't much better. It re-locates the rear
mounting point of the torsion bars lower than stock. Looks to me
like they're right out in harm's way instead of tucked up in the
frame crossmember.

This is my personal opinion, obviously. I know many people have
installed either of these kits and love them, and will probably be
quick to disagree with me. If money were no object, I'd put on the
TrailMaster kit and see about having some custom fabrication done to
try to address some of the shortcomings.

However, what I'm looking at is this choice:

1. Spend $80 + new rims and tires, run 31x10.5 with stock backspacing
2. Spend $1300 + new rims and tires, run 32x11.5 with offset rims
(puts more stress on suspension components, plus I personally don't
care for the look)

The extra half inch of tire radius isn't worth the expense to me.
YMMV

I'm saving that money to put into a 4:1 low range kit for the
transfer case :-D.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/autos/4wheeldrive/library/weekly/aa082400.htm?terms=a1

=====