Re: Re: MP Computer installed

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@nc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 22:01:36 EDT

> Now I'm really confused. With a stock computer, everyone, and I mean
> EVERYONE is saying that you need to install colder plugs. This bit of
advise
> is being told to everyone whether they have ping problems or not. Check
the
> archives and one thing will stand out "Get 5223 or 3923 Autolites and your
> truck will run better". There is even someone who says they have a dyno
> chart that shows the colder plugs develop more horsepower.

me.. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jdsmith4

Now I understand
> that colder plugs retard the timing a bit, but if this is bad, then why is
> everyone being told to install them?

colder plugs do not retard the timing in any way, shape or form

> Yes, I know the MP comp advances the timing and this is one of the ways it
> makes more power so I would be defeating the computer to an extent, but I
> still eliminate the ping right? And at fraction of the cost of constantly
> filling up with more expensive gas. On the stock computer, 89 and higher
> octane made my trucks performance drop. The power wasn't there and my
> mileage went down.

as Bernd posted, the MP comp advances the timing, which makes the power..
with advanced timing, the combustion chamber temp increases (greater
opportunity for pre-ignition (ping)) which is why higher octane gas is
required (higher octange rating means the gas is harder to ignite)

> But, now that I have the MP comp all I'm hearing is that cold plugs are
bad
> and will lead my engine to an early death because the plugs won't cure the
> ping, whether I can actually hear it or not. Everyone is saying to ditch
the
> plugs and put higher octane gas in the tank.

I say keep the plugs, run the higher octane gas. plugs being the only
option.

> Folks, I'm getting as tired of this thread as you are and aside from
sending
> a "Thank you" message to all who made worthwhile contributions when it's
> over I still haven't seen a single post that says why higher octane is
> needed and colder plugs are bad. The only thing I have heard is "Welcome

It would be a shame to end this thread until you learn WHY using lower
octane gas is not good with the MP comp. The DML is here for sharing
knowledge.

> the fried piston club", "Mopar says you need to run 92 octane", "We know
> what we're talking about". I don't doubt any of these things except for
one
> thing. No one has yet said WHY this is.

I've tried to explain why to the best of my abilities, the only other reason
I can offer is that I've been down that road, still on that road, and I know
the results from using lower octane gas.