Seeking ignition advice

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 14:20:00 EDT

I'm planning some ignition maintenance, and I'd appreciate any input
on my plans. This is for my '95 V6 5spd 4x4, which I use as a daily
driver and off-road crawler. Other than merging on the freeway, I
don't race it (I borrow Norah's V8 :-). Only engine mod is an open
element air filter (to prevent the stock air duct from sucking up
water). So my priorities are: smooth running under 3000 RPM and part
throttle, good throttle response, good low-end torque. High RPMs or
WOT performance aren't among my personal priorities for this truck.

I'm planning on putting an MSD system on it at some point, but that's
at least a year or more away. I've done some searching through the
archives, and this is what I'm thinking:

- Autolite copper plugs
- MSD Super Conductor wires
  if I'm replacing wires I figure I might as well get a set
  that will work with the MSD when I eventually get it
- Accel Super Coil
- brass distributor cap & rotor
  (future -- I just replaced these with standard OEM parts,
   I'll get a little use out of those first)

My questions:
1. Will I get any benefit out of the Accel coil without the MSD, or
should I wait until the MSD goes in and keep the stock coil for now?

2. I understand that the 3923 Autolites are the plug of choice, does
this still apply to a stock engine that isn't used for racing?

3. Stock plug gap for '95 was 0.035. With the MSD wires and Accel
coil, can / should I open that up a bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

=====