4.7L Problems!!

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 00:51:09 EDT

I have two problems with my 4.7L truck as of my trip today.I was driving
home from college and I have about 2-2.5 hrs drive time.I was driving 50 mph
@ 1800 rpm's with the heater running full blast to keep the motor under 190.
I observed an average mpg figure of 28.6 mpg on this past tank of fuel,and
was getting 28-30 on the trip today.My engine is still running hot and I got
an engineer for a 4.7L on the phone today at DC after throwing an absolute
shit-fit over my new truck running too hot for me to drive without the
heater.He said that the 4.7L has a 195 thermostat in it, as we all know.He
then told me that if the temp guage ever reads higher than 195, that
something is abnormal or bad wrong, i.e.-idling with the a/c on with the
grille close to a wall,towing a trailer that is bigger than the dakota is
rated for up an abnormally large grade,etc. I am going to pour in the
radiator relief and hope that helps.2ND problem-I was going to pick up my
brother after the truck had been shut off for 1.5 hrs and I used a 2nd gear
start like I usually do, and I had the valves to float on me for the first
time ever.Anybod else's valves rattle/float on takeoff? DC has declared both
of these issues to be serious problems and asked me to take it to the
nearest dealership before I drove it ANYWHERE else and that somebody from DC
engineering would be in touch with all their service people trying to figure
out what the hell is wrong with brand-new f^&*ing 5800-mile truck!!! I wish
they would buy the SOB back and let me be on my way!! Sorry for the long
post, but I had to tell somebody about this shit, thought ya'll might be
interested,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
forest green sport plus/mods:upper&lower speed grille,checkmate flush
fiberglass tonneau,carpeted bed,2-chamber flow w/duals at corners of
bumper,lowered 2" in rear,R/T fender flares,chromed interior a/c vents,side
windows tinted to 5%,back glass to 2.5% with chrome ram head decal,hidden
hitch,pwr tailgate lock,K&N drop-in