RE: install questions for MSD

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 22:20:34 EDT

Hi Chris,

First off I don't know what color your wires are. My 2000's colors may be
different than yours so I will try to explain it in terms of what you're
looking at instead of using colors. If I sound condescending I don't mean
to. I just want to make sure you understand. I know I was a little
confused in the beginning as well. I also noticed you ordered a coil to
replace your stock coil. I hope you also ordered a universal wiring harness
because it makes backing out a lot easier should your MSD components ever
fail. The distances I give you in terms of wire lengths may be different
for your vehicle depending on where you mount the new components.

1) You have three wires going into your stock coil. The secondary wire is
the wire which feeds the spark to the distributor and ultimately to your
spark plugs. This wire is as big as your spark plug wires. The other two
wires that feed your coil are 16-18 gauge wire. One feeds the coil + side
and one feeds the coil - side.

2) You are going to cut those two smaller wires leaving about six inches
attached to the stock coil. We'll worry about those later.

3) The other end of those two wires you just cut go to two different places.
One, the + coil ends up at the ignition where you start your car. That's
what they call the switched-12-volt connection. The other, the - coil goes
to the distributor. As the distributor turns a complete circuit is made
between these two wires for each cylinder. This completed circuit causes
the 6AL to fire which sends juice to the coil, etc. This +coil wire needs
to be connected to the small red wire of the 6AL. The -coil wire needs to
be connected to the small white wire of the 6AL.

4) The 6AL orange wire needs to be connected to the +coil terminal of your
new coil. The 6AL small black wire needs to be connected to the -coil
terminal of your new coil.

5) The heavy red and black wires from your 6AL should be connected to the
battery leads in your fuse or junction block. After this you're basically
done connecting your new equipment up.

6) Remember your old coil. If you put insulated fast-connects on the two
wires you cut and fast-connects on the wires going to your new coil, you can
easily switch back to your oil coil should there be a problem.

Hope this helps. The only thing I didn't explain is the harness or the way
to back out to the stock ignition. If you have further questions holler.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile